Night by Elie Weisel
Essential Questions for the study of Night by Elie Weisel
- What previous notions about the Holocaust drive our thinking of it today?
- Do forms of mass genocide exist today?
- What is our civic responsibility as Americans to intervene in other countries that are committing crimes against humanity?
- In what ways can individuals bring social awareness to such atrocities?
- To what extent do individuals have control over their lives? What role does chance, choice, or fate play?
- What are the causes and/or the rationale behind events such as the Holocaust or other instances of genocide?
- What role does faith plan when one finds himself/herself placed in such a situation?
- How does silence perpetuate violence?
- What is the importance of memory and remembrance in relation to genocide?