Service to Students, School Building, District or Profession
School/Community Contribution Log
Service Activity Log
I try to use my skills and talents as a teacher to enrich not only the lives of my students, but the lives of those who are part of the KHS community. This year:
- I served as an administrator of the BTS Facebook site, maintaining and updating relevant information for all KHS stakeholders.
- I helped plan agendas and organize meetings for the English Department.
- I attended meetings of the Technology Committee, helped plan and implement Academic Spirit Week, served on the School Improvement Team, and the Academic Booster Club.
- I served the role of ABC Webmaster for which I maintain the ABC Weebly and Facebook sites.
- I made myself available to my students after school on Tuesdays and two four hour "Saturday Sessions" for extra AP Practice.
- I chaperoned KHS Prom 2015
- In my capacity as SADD Advisor, I helped organize a Lop off the Locks and Pie in your Eye fundraiser to raise money for the Alyssa Forstrom Foundation. Furthermore, my SADD students made blankets for the Cancer Closet, and donated funds to the Senior Class All Night Party.
- For the first semester, I served as the After School Study Lounge teacher on Wednesdays.
- I have written approximately 20 recommendation letters for students this year.
- I am a member of the BTS Parade Committee.
- My contributions to KHS and BTS may not come via record breaking athletic scores, but I try to serve my school community in the ways I am able.
Professional Development Log
My passion for teaching is fueled by self-improvement. I take my role as an educator very seriously and try to hold myself to the high standards set by some of my teaching role models. This year I took advantage of several professional development opportunities:
- I presented two sessions [Digital Tools for ELA and Genius Hour] at the ISD Technology Conference in October.
- I presented Technology Integration Tools at the ISD ELA PLC in November.
- I presented on the topic of Genius Hour at UP MACUL in May.
- I completed a Technology Integration course from LA Tech University.
- I completed a Donor's Choose project and fundraised for Bluetooth Keypads for the iPad lab housed in my classroom.
- Additionally, I am a member of several electronic English teacher discussion groups including: AP College Board English Teachers, Yahoo English Teachers, and Schoology English Teachers.
- I am an active participant in several Twitter PLN's including #geniushour, #aplitchat, #engchat, #edchat in which I collaborate and communicate with teachers throughout the world to share passions and insights about education.
- I am a member of the MacBook Pro Initiative.